Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Glazing Experiment

Using red colored clay does not work when glazing with other colors... so I found out! AutumnMan wall hanging was not supposed to be so shiney and dark. The glaze is a two tone with the edges a burnt reddish color and the rest a light to dark forest green. It will be interesting to see how it fires up on white clay. I will be picking up clay tomorrow or Friday from Baltimore since they wanted $86 for shipping cost! It will take alittle over an hour if there is no rush traffic.


Native American mask is well... the jury is still out! The glaze was called Autumn Feather, but not sure what happened to the different crytals that were suppose to explode in bursts of color!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, now I see why you have been so quiet. Life seems to be coming at you pretty fast! My thoughts are with you.

In the meantime, re your glazes. Now you can see why folks do test tiles before using a glaze on a finished piece. I don't much anymore but that's because I've been doing glazes long enough that I have a bit of a feel for them. I can tell you that the red clay makes everything darker and often details get filled in. Of course, in the end, that's how totems were born! (doing glaze tiles for "Chesapeake" - I couldn't take the chance of messing up a piece of that!)

glad to see you back here in cyberspace.

Dianne Mayne Forche said...

Thanks for your post, Tammy ... and your welcome back! Been going through cyber withdrawal. As soon as things calm down I will be taking your advice and doing a test board with different glazes.. finally got my load of clay in and itching to get at it!